Arlill tells the story of how they discovered podcasts (through an earlier interest in gaming) and how they came to produce Random Chatterings: a show that covers ‘all aspects of pop culture including video games, movies, television shows, and the internet at large’.
Content warning: suicidal ideation, depression, transphobia, violence and some coarse language
Podcast case study: Naked Tech Podcast (listener)
Find Arlill on Twitter @HHowardson.
Links and Show Notes
Gaming and Group Dynamics 00:00:00
- ‘Epic Honor’ is episode 123.
- The Ricky Gervais Show
- Medal of Honor (video game series)
- Kirby’s Epic Yarn
- MP3 player
- Sega Genesis
- Random Chatterings
- Maintenance Phase
- Aubrey Gordon
- Michael Hobbes
Editing Process 00:11:25
Motivation and Identity 00:23:44
- Roe v. Wade
- Arlill’s top three Random Chatterings episodes
- Undertale (2015 video game)
- Indie game
- T-bone steak
- Talking Simpsons
- Bob Mackey
- Henry Gilbert
- The Simpsons
- Gender Reveal (podcast)
- Tuck Woodstock
- Latine (also ‘latin’, ‘latinx’, ‘latino’, ‘latina’ or ‘Latin American’, with various meanings and uses)
- See Usage and pronunciation for an explanation of the differences.
- ‘Trans’ is a sociological term that may refer to either transgender or transsexual.
- Please note this important distinction between the terms, as explained on the second webpage linked above (under Relationship to transgender): ’The term transgender was coined by John Oliven in 1965. By the 1990s, transsexual had come to be considered a subset of the umbrella term transgender. The term transgender is now more common, and many transgender people prefer the designation transgender and reject transsexual.’
- Coming out
- ‘Cis’ refers to cisgender.
- Donald Trump
- Patton Oswalt
- Michell McNamara (deceased spouse of Patton Oswalt)
- I’ll Be Gone in the Dark (2018 book by Michelle McNamara)
- Animal Crossing
- Episode 86.5 - Animal Crossing and Gender Expression on Random Chatterings
- COVID-19 pandemic
- Gender binary
Final Thoughts 00:43:19
Original podcast theme music by Alex Canion